DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION ("DEI") POLICY.
SSM ("SSM" or the "Firm") strives to provide a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace is one where all employees and independent contractors, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feels valued and respected. The Firm is committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement at the Firm. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard. We’re committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for the entire legal sector, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
The Firm strives to:
- See diversity, inclusion, and equity as connected to our Firm's mission and critical to ensure the well-being of our Firm and the clients we serve.
- Acknowledge and dismantle any inequities within our policies, systems, programs, and services, and continually update and report the Firm's progress.
- Explore potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusiveness.
- Advocate for and support critical thinking about how systemic inequities impact our Firm’s work, and how best to address that in a way that is consistent with our mission.
- Challenge assumptions about what it takes to be a strong leader at our Firm, and who is well-positioned to provide leadership.
- Practice and encourage transparent communication in all interactions.
- Ensure that all members of the Firm (and potential hires) understand our Firm's diversity, inclusion, and equity efforts by making this DEI Policy accessible to all.
- Lead with respect and tolerance in workplace interactions and through everyday practices.
The Firm abides by the following action items to help promote diversity, equity and inclusion in our workplace:
- Pursue cultural competency throughout our Firm by offering substantive learning opportunities and formal, transparent policies.
- Generate and aggregate quantitative and qualitative research related to equity opportunities at our Firm and provide public visibility of our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
- Create and support programs and policies that foster recruitment, retention, and pathways to leadership for all employees.
- Connect with nonprofit organizations committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, and the elimination of bias in the legal profession.
- Present learning opportunities regarding the elimination of implicit bias and the increase of equal opportunity for all.
- Remain conscious of implicit bias, and conduct a robust and multi-factored decision-making process during the recruitment, retention, and promotion of all candidates for employment at the Firm.
- Advocate for public and private-sector policies that promote diversity, inclusion, and equity for all demographic groups.